Every week across Birmingham, we offer a wide range of support services to help mothers, fathers or other family members overcome the symptoms associated with pre and postnatal depression including low mood or high anxiety during pregnancy or up to 2 years after having a baby. These include:
We offer individual befriending sessions with a trained volunteer at one of our centres. Our centres currently operate in the Walmley (Sutton Coldfield), Kingstanding, Saltley and Northfield areas of Birmingham. Each centre provides a free onsite creche.
Group support sessions
Each week we offer a number of group work support sessions across the City, teaching a range of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy techniques to help you cope with pre or postnatal depression. Courses usually last for 8 weeks and are delivered by a team of trained facilitators.
Helping Hands @ Home
Families who access our service can also be assessed for their suitability for our Helping Hands @ Home service which offers practical and emotional support to families in their own homes.
Postnatal depression affects mothers AND fathers/partners. Our Acacia Dads project offers support to dads who are experiencing low mood, depression or anxiety after the birth of a child or are struggling to help/come to terms with their partner’s postnatal depression.
How do I access the above services?
Sometimes your GP, Health Visitor, Midwife or Family Support Worker will tell you about Acacia and make a referral and contact us on your behalf. You can also make a self-referral by calling us on 0121 301 5990 and speaking to one of our administrators who will guide you through the process of accessing our support services. The referral process typically involves our Administrator taking your contact and GP details and then arranging an appointment for a telephone assessment. The telephone assessment will usually take approximately 45 minutes, and you will be asked to complete a questionnaire. The questionnaire is based on how you have felt on the previous two weeks prior to the assessment.
Alternatively, you can complete a Self-Assessment Form (click here to download). Please print, complete and return the form to us by post:
Acacia Family Support,
5a Coleshill Street,
For further information/advice, please click on the below links:-
• Dads Survival Guide
• Postnatal Depression booklet
• Relaxation Track - An essential tool to use at least once daily to help to reduce anxiety. Relaxation helps to create a sense of peace and reduce anxiety. (Approx. 16 mins track, it can be listened to through SoundCloud – please click on the above link)
Please note that Acacia is NOT a crisis service and we strongly advise you to visit your GP for regular monitoring at this time.
In the event of a crisis please contact:
Samaritans – Freephone: 116 123, 24/7, www.samaritans.org
SANE: 0300 304 7000 – 6-11 pm daily, www.sane.org.uk
NHS – Freephone: 111 (when it’s less urgent than 999)
• Family Lives Family Lives offers a confidential and free* helpline service (previously known as Parentline). 0808 800 2222 for information, advice, guidance and support on any aspect of parenting and family life, including bullying. The helpline service is open 9am – 9pm, Monday to Friday and 10am – 3pm Saturday and Sunday.www.familylives.org.ukAcacia Referral Form 2016
• www.helplines.org/helplines - information/advice on hundreds of topics, e.g. anxiety, debt, housing, addiction and much more.
• www.netmums.com - info on a wide range of topics.
• Birth Trauma - www.birthtraumaassociation.org.uk for support email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Support Line – Tel: 01708 765 200 (hours vary), email@example.com. Provides emotional support on many issues. www.supportline.org.uk/problems
• Miscarriage - Miscarriage association helpline 01924 200 799
• Bereavement - Cruse Bereavement Care, helpline 0844 477 9400
• Domestic Violence – Women’s Aid 0808 2000 247
• Housing Crisis – Shelter 0808 800 4444
• Financial, legal issues Citizens Advice Bureau 08444 111 444
• Debt counselling support Christians against Poverty www.capuk.org enquiries call 01274 760720
• Childhood and Rape and Sexual violence project helpline 0121 233 3818
• Marriage and Relationship difficulties Support line 0208 554 9004, Marriage Care –www.marriagecare.org.uk Appointments 0800 389 3801
• Food Banks – The Trussell Trust 01722 580 180
• Child Law Advice Service www.childlawadvice.org.uk for Education queries 0300 330 5485 and for family queries is 0300 330 5480
• No Panic for panic attacks and anxiety disorders www.nopanic.org.uk Helpline 0800 138 8889
• Self help resources www.getselfhelp.co.uk
• Self help resources Living Life to the Full www.LLTTF.com
• Self help resources www.mindhealthconnect.org.au For alternative support:-
Fun Run 2016
03 Aug 2015
HEALTH PROFESSIONALS & REFERRING AGENCIES: DOWNLOAD OUR REFERRAL FORM BELOW
PLEASE READ THE BELOW IMPORTANT INFORMATION BELOW COMPLETING OUR REFERRAL FORM:
Acacia will support the following beneficiaries:
Copyright © Acacia Family Support 2006 - 2017 | Registered Charity No: 1122831 | Website design by JP Web Design